Re: API Documentation

Subject: Re: API Documentation
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:30:28 -0500

> I am not very experienced in documenting API so I am a little uneasy in
> pushing back! Hence my question.

You just gave an excellent reasoning for your pushback. You don't need
to be an expert in documenting an API to recognize common sense via a
small bit of audience analysis (which you appear to have done).

> Are API commands typically combined across product lines, or from one
> generation to the other of the same product line?

Well, consider this. You have API1 installed and hit the reference.
You see a cool function and want to use it, so you try implementing it
but you can't, because it doesn't exist... it's for API2. Are the docs
wrong? Did you as a user do something wrong? Is the product crap?

If you play the role of user and find yourself asking these
hypothetical questions, guess what? Something's wrong and needs to be
corrected.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com