API Documentation

Subject: API Documentation
From: "David Tinsley" <dtinsley -at- ndigital -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:23:40 -0500

Greetings,

I would like to tap into the collective experience of this group with
reference to API documentation.

I have to meet with a group of developers that want me to combine the
API guides of our two main products into one guide because they say
"Most of the API is the same and we want to have all the commands in one
document" My pushback to them is that it is easier for the user if they
have an API document per product. In addition, very few of our customers
use both of our main technologies and even if they did they do not jump
about from one to the other on a daily basis.

I am not very experienced in documenting API so I am a little uneasy in
pushing back! Hence my question.

Are API commands typically combined across product lines, or from one
generation to the other of the same product line?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Regards,

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l