Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)

Subject: Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:04:59 -0500

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Oh, one other thing I forgot: publishers are standardized
on MS Word. Most won't accept manuscript files in other
formats.

Gene,

In this case, I'm the publisher (or at least I'm proposing to be the publisher). That added several line items to the proposal, but right now we're just focusing on the ghostwriting line. Book design (words per page, total pages, typography, paper quality, as well as the myriad of other choices) will be under my control. I'm working in Word because that's the easiest way to exchange drafts with the client, not because I intend to ship the file off to someone else for composition. The printer will get PDFs, most likely from InDesign.

I should add that I did base my proposal on a slightly lower pricing schedule than I'd eventually like to maintain. But I did that because so far my publishing imprint doesn't have any books, and therefore clients are taking a risk. Once I have a couple of titles under my belt (and on my site), I'll bring prices back up to average or above.

Dick

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com