Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)

Subject: Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:08:33 -0500

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

"Typical" fees for ghostwriting a book are flat and by the word or page, with $100/page for a 200-250 page nonfiction/business book being midrange (add about 50% additional for fiction work). Of
course, if your prospective client is someone world-famous whose
name we would all recognize and whose book is likely to hit the
NYT best seller list, then all bets are off on negotiations

If your alternative proposals would have come to less than $20-25k,
you are already underselling yourself

I quoted for a shorter work, with a base rate for 25,000 words and pro rata for anything beyond that. This isn't a business book. And my quote was probably commensurate with your suggested rate of $100 per page, although I don't know how many words per page you're assuming with that figure.

and you might want to just
refer the prospective client to any of a number of other professional
ghostwriters who will be happy to send him a $20k-30k quote.

<evil grin/>

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com