Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?

Subject: Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?
From: Nandini G <nandini111 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:23:22 -0800 (PST)

Actually, I would prefer a test, not just a writing
test, but technical competency test. That way I would
have a chance to try out what the job entails and
decide whether it is good fit based on how comfortable
I feel about the technology. If I am hiring someone,
paying for their learning curve, and their cube, I
would want to make sure they can do the job with
minimal training.

We expect our doctors to pass the rigors of miriad
tests and residency requirements. As writers, we
emerge from diverse backgrounds as professionals in
our field without accredition. We don't have to pass
standardized tests before we call ourselves writers.
Even the person who delivers our rejection letters has
to pass post office tests. So no offense there.

However, as writers we are not just proofers, editors,
or word processors. To weed out bad writers, the
employer must craft a test that would not only test
the basics skills, but the advanced and subtle ones.
For example, the test should include typical technical
terminology and concepts the candidate would encounter
at work. Candidates should be allowed to use a
computer, have access to the Internet for research,
and then asked to read typical technical
specifications and write definitions, procedures,
perhaps a Help snippet, and even draw a diagram. The
candidate should have free access to the SMEs. This
will help both parties: Candidates know how
cooperative the engineers are and the employers know
whether candidates can ask intelligent questions and
the extent of their knowledge.

Such a test would require that the employers do their
homework and spend time thinking about their
requirements. Candidates have a chance to learn from
the interviewing experience. Both parties win.

This should not be a "surprise" test. It's only
courteous to let candidates know that they will need
extra time to complete the interview.

Nandini

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com