Seeking documentation authoring tool with certain characteristics...

Subject: Seeking documentation authoring tool with certain characteristics...
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:29:49 -0700

Wow...you spend a year doing non-pubs stuff, and suddenly you've
forgotten everything you ever knew. Sigh. Anyway, I got a request
from a friend for info, and, although I could take a SWAG at it,
I thought I should toss the question to the experts:

A friend is looking for a documentation authoring tool that can help
with a Web-based software product. Right now, they have an Installation
Guide that's in Word/PDF, on-screen help in HTML, and a FAQ
in FAQ-O-Matic. "Honestly, it doesn't take a genius to see that
customers can't find the appropriate documentation because it's so
scattered."

Do you have any recommendation for an authoring tool that would ideally:
1) Create a good looking web based documentation tree.
2) Create a highly printable document.
3) Somewhat easily allow us to link into it from web pages.

Hand editing SGML or DocBook would really not be a preferred option.

He could go up to $1-2,000 if necessary, but of course would rather
not if he doesn't have to...

Any suggestions on document authoring tools would be appreciated.

Windows or Linux would be acceptable platforms.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com