Re: Naming cells in a grid

Subject: Re: Naming cells in a grid
From: Patrick Wright <pdoubleya -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:43:09 +0100

Lou

Thanks for the feedback. As I wrote to Geoff, I have no control over
the UI in this application--am merely updating an existing user
manual, last updated well over a year ago, edited by multiple writers
who are technically oriented (programmers) and none of whom speak
English as a first language. Apart from everything else I
mentioned--the manual is written in a mixture of passive and active
tenses (mostly passive) and mostly in the third person ("The dialog
offers the possibility to the user to update the configuration
for..."). It's pretty horrifying, actually.

> LQ:
> I'm wondering if "grid" and "cell" are the appropriate visualizations
> for end-users at all. Won't they be thinking "list"?

It is tricky. Some commands are triggered from the grid/table, through
a context menu. In some of those cases, the action taken varies
depending on what cell you are on. Using the example from my original
email, you can do things like:
- select the "low-bid" cell for a given item
- open context menu
- select "active compare"
- mouse changes to cross hair
- select the "low bid" or "high bid" on another item; this establishes
a comparison between the two values to track the difference between
them.

The programmers are quite creative, actually. So--to answer your
question--the original manual made references either to the conceptual
("the item's low bid") or UI ("the low-bid cell for the item"),
depending on the case. The UI style was used for instructions about
specific UI actions (e.g. mouse, key and other input actions). Hence
my question.

It seems that the conceptual view is better.

> LQ:
> It'll be tough to describe the various 'cell' display states in a
> narrative. I can picture a screenshot with well-designed call-outs
> doing a better job.

Hmm. I would like that, but there are too many combinations; but the
general point is good, will aim for that.

> PW:
> 3) Should the column or cell names be highlighted, e.g boldface, as they
> are GUI elements (like a button), or should I use italics, quotes...?
>
> LQ:
> The vendor *must* have conventions for this, yes?

No, I've written their first style guide. The original author(s) of
the manual mixed conventions, hence I'm trying to sort it out.

> But, if not, the best choice (imo) is an inline graphic of the column
> head if at all possible (even scaled-down a little). If these can
> appear comfortably in the narrative *and* look exactly as they do in
> surrounding screenshots, there's no confusion.

Good idea.

> LQ:
> Think like the end-user. I don't think they see a grid or cells, just a
> list. They'll know what you mean if you say "table," but I'd stay away
> from all conceptions that reduce to X-Y.
>
> Just a guess, but I'm thinking it's time to get completely away from
> development metaphors and become a user.
>
> Seems like the cells being editable in situ is complicating things,
> forcing the idea of "cells." Maybe you can get around this so:
>
> "Double-click an item's Target Price to enter a new value."
>
> The more complicated a UI, the more important it is to say less.

This is good feedback. The "development metaphors" are used widely in
the company's documentation, hence the confusion.

I'm blaming a lot on them, but on the other hand, their product is
successful and well-regarded, it seems. And people have gotten along
well despite the complicated UI and out-of-date manual, so it can't be
all that bad.

Many thanks
Patrick

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com