RE: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: RE: What Are Writing Skills?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:29:48 -0500 (EST)

I thought someone mentioned Rhetoric already. That is the answer.

> I was told that the "meat" of writing skills is
> structured writing skills. But try researching to
> find the specific, concrete techniques and steps
> involved in structured writing - they don't exist!
> Structured writing is "blue smoke and mirrors".

I don't think that term was used as a term; I think it was in a general
discourse about what's necessary for a technical writer to do, but perhaps
I'm remembering incorrectly.

> Therefore, I conclude that writing skills don't exist.
> We just analyze like and engineer, design like an
> engineer, and then top it off with a little grammar.

Your conclusion is illogical. Write it in the form of a syllogism and you
will see for yourself.

--
Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com