Re: Engineering Tool Drawing package recommendations sought

Subject: Re: Engineering Tool Drawing package recommendations sought
From: sburnf -at- au1 -dot- ibm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:42:54 -0700

Hi Sue -

Is there a reason why you need to switch from Canvas? I needed to use it
for a job a few years ago. I have no background in illustration but I
found it easy to learn and more than up to the task (detailed hardware
illustrations).

I like how it combines vector and bitmap editing tools in one UI without
seeming cluttered or confusing.

I expect a full-time graphics pro would demand the top-end Adobe tools,
but as a tech writer I'd never get near the most advanced functions. I
think of Canvas as 95% of Adobe Illustrator plus 95% of Photoshop at a
third of the cost.

Last time I looked it's still being developed and has an active user
community.

Regards

Stuart Burnfield

> Most of our technical illustrations were done back in the 90s, some using
> Canvas, and many are now sorely in need of updating.
> I'm looking for tool that can import CAD drawings where needed, and that
> does the best job of supporting an engineering company.
> I don't expect to become an expert technical illustrator, but I do have a
> good eye, and want to do the best I can.
> We're talking about Illustrator - anyone have any other recommendations?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com