RE: technical writer jobs in Canada

Subject: RE: technical writer jobs in Canada
From: "Barb Einarsen" <barb -dot- einarsen -at- navtelcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:10:39 -0500

TK:
is much work available in Canada for technical writers.

Yes, in the urban centers it is a pretty strong market. Although we,
like the US, are still recovering from the dotcom crash, telecom crash,
and general y2k slump.

TK:
I am relatively new to the profession, having just completed a
technical writing course in 2004, but I have worked in the
IT industry for a number of years prior to this.

As a writer with 14 years of experience, I am noticing that bugets are
covering more junior/intermediate positions at the moment, so being
inexperienced may actually get you more possibilities.

TK:
Location is not very important to me, but I suspect that the
larger urban centres such as Toronto (and hopefully Vancouver -
would really like to spend some time there) would be better for
obtaining work.

I have worked for 14 years in the Toronto area. I know writers in
Montreal and Vancouver. Toronto seems to be the largest market, with
Vancouver being second, then Montreal and Ottawa (in my _personal_
opinion). As a West Coast native, BC is DEFINITELY an excellent place to
spend part of your year. I highly recommend it.

TK:
Ideally I would like to spend the first six months (April/May
to September/October) in a city such as Toronto or perhaps
Montreal,
and the last 6 months in Vancouver.

Sounds like a good plan.

TK:
The visa I will be getting has no restrictions on the duration
of
jobs, the location, or indeed the number of jobs held at any one
time.

That is excellent. I am sure you will have a lot of fun. Good luck and
best wishes. Also, feel free to contact me when you are in the Toronto
area.

Barb Einarsen

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com