Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?

Subject: Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:42:13 -0800

This sounds like a reasonable test for an editor or even a DTP
operator, but I'm not so sure about a *writer.* I *know* from
personal experience that the "test" should not be created by
some nonwriting person by taking a Frame file created by the
company's last writer and mangling the text, graphics and master
page without any knowledge of how to use Frame. :)

I have on occaision used my own form of "writing test" for writer
candidates who did well on all the other aspects of the interview
process but needed some additional evaluation (usually more a
matter of the company's hiring policy than anything about the
writer). I call mine a 30-day contract.

Gene Kim-Eng

"Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com> wrote in message news:...

> This question occurred to me recently. In all the interviews I've had
> over the years, in just one was I ever asked to take a writing test
> right there. (In that case, I was shown a section of existing
> documentation, asked some questions about the product, and was given 30
> minutes to rewrite the content. I got that job.)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com