RE: Icons in Procedures

Subject: RE: Icons in Procedures
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 07:19:38 -0600

I will go out on a limb here and say that I do imbed icons, or graphics
in many of my documents. Because a vast majority of the documentation I
write is procedural in nature, I place icons on the left in their own
little world that will signify monitor displays, hints, warnings, and
tools (too broad to explain with any brevity).

The icons stand out so the reader has no excuse for not seeing, and in
my own humble opinion, has no excuse for not reading what the icon is
calling attention to.

Lastly, at this point in time, all of my documentation is in hard copy
format--although I have made almost everything available in PDF to view
from multiple workstations in the event a hard copy is not immediately
available.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone Service for Verizon Wireless
Why wait until you land to take care of business?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com