Re: Re: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)

Subject: Re: Re: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:49:53 -0500

> > > How would you go about doing a feature/function-based TOC short of manually messing with a copy of the actual TOC after everything else was done?...
> >
> > Switch to Word and use .c. TOC fields.
> > <g,d,rlh>
>
> Yee haw--I am using Word!
>
> So, would you recommend something like, say, creating a style "Feature"
> making it hidden text, and then assigning a TOC style to it? ... I just totally made that up; it could be insane--what would you
> do?
>
> Mandy...Word roolz; Frame droo...well, you know how it goes ;-)

I'm using Word 2003 and it's actually much nicer than it
used to be. When you select Insert > Field and then select
Index & Tables as the type, you're presented with a number
of TOC fields to use. You can select a completely
different type, like "table of authorities" and use that,
or you can select the TC field, type the text for the
entry, select the outline level, and even indicate whether
it's in a doc with multiple tables - altho I don't have
time to play with it, so Idunno what it will do.

When you get to generating the TOC, there are two
checkboxes on the dialog - one for generating a TOC using
styles, one for generating a TOC using field codes. If
your task-based entries are book headings (styles) and your
interface-based headings are all fields, ...

It's just that easy.

<g>
-Sue Gallagher

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com