RE: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)

Subject: RE: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:25:41 -0600

> -----Eric Dunn wrote:-----
> Could be done with markers and IOMs, could be separate
> paragraph styles
> and differently setup TOCs, could be based on structured documents.
>
> Lots of different out-of-the-box ways to do this with
> generated files in
> FrameMaker.

Based on some comments I received on and off-list, I think I need to provide some more info as to what I'm having a problem with.

Our commands and the command descriptions are done with different paragraph tags, so I don't have a problem with generating a TOC that contains the information I need. The problem is getting it to be in *alphabetical* order rather than in page number order. I'm trying to avoid inserting additional markers to generate a list because that would add work for the writer (but this may be the way to go).

The command pages start like this:
^AB
Do XXX

^BC
Create VVV

The resulting regular TOC entries look like this:

^AB: Do XXX.........page 1
^BC: Create VVV.........page 2

I want the Functional TOC to look like this (sorted alphabetically by the description):

Create VVV (^BC)........page 2
Do XXX (^AB)........page 1

I can generate a list that looks like this, but the entries are in numeric order by page number rather than alphabetical. The only way I can think of to sort the entries alphabetically by the command description is to convert the entries into a table (which is complicated by the fact that the command and the command description are done as separate paragraph tags), messing with the table, then converting the table back to text. The string of things that had to be done to go back and forth was long and convoluted with a lot of room for errors.

I hope that helps. :-)

Donna

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com