Re: How to deal with a "Closed" group of writers?

Subject: Re: How to deal with a "Closed" group of writers?
From: Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:55:23 -0800

It depends on

- how long the team has been together
- whether you are a new hire or a contractor
- whether you were hired to work on a project that someone else wanted to
do

and sometimes... how annoyed they are that some newbie wants to come in
and change everything around and doesn't have enough experience to realize
why things are done the way they are there... you may have just come in
and pissed everyone off to the point that they don't need the hassle of
dealing with you... tech pub departments don't generally get the funding
to hire people they don't really, desperately need... so they do need to
cooperate with you to help you be a good hire and they will eventually
come around once you make the right changes. suck it up and start by
asking people what you did and apologizing for whatever it was, then ask
how you can do it differently in the future, you are only as successful
as your team.

> Im zapped
> by the obnoxious attitude I have to deal with on a day-to-day basis.
> Im the youngest in my group (both on the age and experience radar) and
> though, Ive always been performing to the best of capabilities, Ive
> not been able to strike a chord with my peers.

> Do you also feel sometimes that you are in a "documentation black
> hole" where the only person who cooperates with you is YOU yourself?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com