RE: replacing Word - Framemaker vs Indesign?

Subject: RE: replacing Word - Framemaker vs Indesign?
From: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- bridgeport-networks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:51:47 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: On Behalf Of TechComm Dood
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:37 AM

Think of InDesign as a very robust PageMaker.

Think of FrameMaker as a very robust Word.

Which best fits your needs?

Essentially, what do you need more? Layout (InDesign)? Or content
control (FrameMaker)?

IMO, don't worry about the future of FrameMaker. It's a very mature,
stable product that will work for years and years to come, whether
it's supported or not.

And I would hope that if they got rid of Framemaker, they'd have
developed an easy way to move Frame files to whatever their newest tool
would be.

Despite all the "talk" of people moving to InDesign, it is still much
more of a layout tool than a documentation tool. Yes, the pricing and
the whole CS bundle make it attractive, but as someone who is currently
moving from Word to InDesign, I really wish we'd gone to Frame instead.

- Victoria

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com