Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:33:34 -0800

I've registered my basic answer online, but taking a cue from Peter (who says this survey has fences that need mending), I thought I'd explore these questions via the time-tested technique of reversal. This usually helps to open a few new pastures for grazing.

Here's what it did for me:

When contracting, I prefer to work:

* On-site, for access to people and equipment

Off-site, for access to people and equipment.

Many people do access corporate networks over dialup/ISDN or broadband or fractional T-1 connections, why not me?

I'm aware that the IP address blocks used by DHCP servers at network access providers and ISPs make a good target for hackers, so I take the extra steps to be equipped and configurable for secure connections from my office to the corporate network. I'm a good netizen and a low risk, so let me connect to work from my home office.

SMEs sometimes are more responsive to tech writers who have limited access to them. When I say "I'm off-site, can we teleconf tomorrow 11-12AM," I rarely get stiffed. Anyway, my home office is equipped with business class speaker phones, etc--I have IP A/V teleconferencing, fax, land lines and wireless 'phone. I feel I have a reasonable degree of access to people at work and vice-versa (as long as they don't forget that I'm invisible for the most part).

* On-site, for structure and discipline

Off-site, for structure and discipline.

Call *me* stuffy but the less I have to overhear my cow orkers chatting the day away, the better I like it.

Admittedly, I would be the first one to chat the day away if work were not so demanding; socializing at work makes the hands of the clock fairly fly around. Unfortunately, so do deadline commitments.

* On-site, for other reasons
* Off-site, to work when I want to work

On-site, to work when I want to work.

Off-site doesn't always offer much stimulation--a document in my home office can be much less inspiring than a *little* bit of face time with the people/person who own(s) it. Being on-site can sometimes kick-start (or refresh) my motivation, especially at the beginning of a project (contract or otherwise).

* Off-site, cannot go there looking like this!

On-site, can't stay home looking like this!

Dressing well is neither sufficient or necessary as a condition of commitment to work, and you wouldn't hear this very often in Grungeville (where I work), but I am aware that the workforce in many big cities *really* shows a lot of willingness to sink paychecks into clothes so they can 'dress to the eyes' for work.

* Off-site, for other reasons
* It depends on the client

This is about my preferences, that was the question. Granted, we service industries have to go to great lengths to keep our clients happy, but assigning to my client my right to have prefs is a little patronizing, am I right?

* I do not do any contracting

My career consists of one staff gig (~3 years) and 12 years of contracting.

Have a great week!

Any week that provides opportunities for creative exploration is a good week. Thanks for the smart start this week :-)

Lisa B.

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com