Re: performance measurements

Subject: Re: performance measurements
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:02:56 +0000

After reading your question, reading TechComm Dood's response, and thinking about the performance measures I calculate results for on a regular basis, I think we need to all be on the same page as to exactly what we mean by performance measures.

The one's I work with, though not tech comm department-ish, fall along the lines of per diem costs and staff to offender ratios. These are a very different kind of performance measurement than what TechComm Dood is talking about.

In her's (his?), we're talking about assessing the performance of individual writers, perhaps with the intent of assisting with the completion of the annual employee performance appraisal.

In mine, were talking more about measures used to assess the overall performance of the entire department or the performance of one of our branches.

So we have two very different measurement goals.

So the question I have is this. Are you interested in determining if the employees in your technical communication department are meeting company expections--wtih possible future promotions and pay raises as a reward? Or are you interested in determining if your technical communications department is supporting a corporate objective, perhaps reducing the average daily number of phone calls to the help desk or producing more cost effective documentation?

Subject: performance measurements
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:58:12 -0500

What kind of performance measures and measurements do you use in your tech comm department?

Thanks,
Lyndsey

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com