Online editing with FrameMaker?

Subject: Online editing with FrameMaker?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:50:27 -0500

Shlomo Perets suggested: <<with Acrobat Professional 7, you can enable PDFs for commenting in the free Acrobat Reader 7.0. If you would like to see how this works, a sample FM document converted to PDF and enabled for commenting in Reader is available at http://www.microtype.com/resources/CommentEnabled.pdf (78K)>>

This is great for light commenting, but entirely useless for true editing. For example, the kind of substantive editing I do for a living results in changes in almost every line of text, with extensive rearrangement of sentences, and PDF is completely unsuited for this approach: you can't automatically bring the edits back into the creator application, and must copy them manually. This risks errors, omissions, and other mistakes, and takes far too long to be an effective solution.

I know you're a Frame expert (in addition to your well-known PDF expertise): Can you provide any thoughts on how to edit in Frame similar to Word's revision tracking? I don't use Frame myself, but I know this is a major topic of interest to Frame users. Exporting to RTF and editing in Word works fine if you haven't yet begun any layout in Frame, but it's not as efficient as working directly in Frame.

Based on my relatively primitive knowledge of Frame, the closest I can come to a workable solution is to use character styles called "addition" and "deletion" to tag text, then search for these styles when it's time to review the edits. But that's still awfully labor-intensive and kludgy. Thanks for any thoughts you can provide on effective alternatives!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com