Comparison of XML tools for writing documents?

Subject: Comparison of XML tools for writing documents?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:32:48 -0500

Andrea Leszek reports: <<Our team is considering moving to XML-based documentation and we're trying to pick a tool for content creation.>>

Can't help you with the tools question, but I have a question of my own: Have you actually done the necessary work to confirm that you need an XML solution? If so, have you received the necessary training to know how to create a useful document schema (i.e., a DTD) that will meet your needs?

Sorry if that seems like an insulting question, but it's increasingly clear to me that even the biggies (Microsoft, for instance, in adding XML support to Word) are jumping on the software tools aspect of XML and ignoring the more difficult aspect: the intellectual tools that let you understand what you're doing and how to do it effectively.

XML is not just HTML with a new name: it's a whole other beast that requires a whole new way of thinking about information. Do the thinking _before_ you pick a tool. Once you understand what you need to accomplish, and how XML lets you accomplish it, and it's relatively easy to pick a tool that will let you accomplish it. Pick the tool first and you'll end up in the proverbial "if all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" situation.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com