Re: Seeking information on ISO

Subject: Re: Seeking information on ISO
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:33 EST

To all,

I did understand what the question was. This email focuses on the
difficulty of determining what the 'standard' is in the specific areas mentioned.

As I understood it -- the questioner was directing his question to ISO
standards. Therefore I provided information specifically at the 'international
level' and the US Standards that are in alignment.

If we are looking at the US standards, and 'best practices' for
>> systems, technical documentation, and configuration management/change
control >>
it is most difficult to determine what SPECIFICALLY was asked for.

As we know it, (IMHO) for every organization that exists (specifically the
software development organizations) has its own "System Development Life
Cycle (SDLC)" documentation.

It is within that context that I responded the way that I did.

My questions below address the difficulty in determining 'standards' and
'best practices'. You can provide your own answers to these questions.

Systems documentation -

Is IBMs systems documentation better Fujitsu, Northern Telecom, or
National Cash Register?

Technical Documentation

Is the technical documentation provided by Microsoft better than
Intel, EMC, or Maxtor?

Configuration Management

Is ClearCase documentation better than SourceSafe, PVCS?
Is the Configuration Management documentation provided by the
previous MIL-STD better than what is provided by the IEEE.

Project Management

Is the Project Management Plan provided by the IEEE better than that
which is provided by the Project Management Institute in their "Project
Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOC)"

Is the Project Management Plan template in Rational Unified Process
(RUP) in alignment with the IEEE Project Management Plan?

Does your organization have its own 'standard' Project Management Plan?

Technical Writing

Which is the better guide for writing? The Chicago Manual of Style
(CMS), the New York Times, the APA, or the Gregg Guide? There are others, too
numerous to name.

Just food for thought. It depends on where you are standing.

And Yes, I have been actively/intimately involved in all of the above, in
one fashion or another.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com