Apple Help from RoboHelp HTML questions

Subject: Apple Help from RoboHelp HTML questions
From: "Joe Campo" <joe -dot- campo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:52:35 -0500

Does anyone have experience producing Apple Help from a RH HTML project?
We have a product for which we currently produce a chm and WebHelp,
using RH HTML Help.
We may be deploying this product on the Mac and a developer has
suggested we use Mac's Apple Help.
I've never used Apple Help so I have just started researching what it
is.

I would like to be able to reuse our HTML content as much as possible,
and note that we translate into about a dozen non-English languages, so
any code changes I make would have to be repeated times 12 translators.
I want to avoid code changes if possible.

I mention this because I found an article about Apple Help on
mactech.com, and it mentions that I need to add <Meta> tags and then run
the html topics through an Apple Indexing tool to create an Index file.
So that is at least one change I need to make to every topic if this is
the only way to create an Index for Apple Help.

Questions
1. Has anyone ever produced Apple Help from RH HTML help and can you
walk me through your suggested process? Our product would have a TOC,
Index, and needs a full-text search, just like the chm.
2. Is there some way to create an Apple Index without having to edit the
code?
3. Are there any articles online or printed books you can point me to
that can help? The one I read so far is
www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.16/16.06/AppleHelp/

Thanks for your help.
JoeC

Joseph Campo
Technical Writer | Documentation Department
SolidWorks Corporation | 300 Baker Avenue, Concord, Massachusetts 01742
USA

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com