Re: Tools: Acrobat reader security update

Subject: Re: Tools: Acrobat reader security update
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 06:13:08 -0800

Geoff offered:
>> The existence of a security flaw in PDF files requires the upgrading of Adobe Reader and Acrobat software...We recommend upgrading to Reader 7 <<

Thanks for the recommendation, but be forewarned.

I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0 installed and installed
Acrobat Reader 6.0 last month, and it uninstalled my
Adobe Acrobat 5.0 installation automatically.

If you do not have the matching Acrobat version for
the Reader, installing a later version of Reader may
uninstall Acrobat.

After looking at the Adobe website, while there are
various patches for Acrobat 5, it does not appear
that this vulnerability affects it, but the iDefense
website indicates otherwise.

Sounds like time to ask for a newer version of Acrobat
from management, though with budget constraints, it's
not likely in the near future.

CB - been there, done that, had to go back to 5.0
and am still there until the funds are found to
procure a later Acrobat version
--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.