Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)

Subject: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)
From: Doug Cuff <subscribe -at- cuff -dot- mailshell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:03:58 -0400

Tony Markos wrote:

Surefire ways to combat shyness:

* Get an evening job telemarketing something nobody
wants. Ain't nothing going to cure shyness like cold
calling people at dinner time and trying to sell them
an appliance service contract. Done it, was a great
experience, will never do it again.

I had the opposite experience when I was cold-calling for around eight months. It didn't help my "shyness." It made it a little worse for as long as the job lasted. I'm not bad at making a connection with people one on one and face to face, but I can't seem to do it over the phone, and plenty of practice didn't help even the slightest bit.

I was glad to hear that you recommend Toastmaster. I'm going to have to try that myself to improve my skills at connecting with more than one person.

May I also recommend the book _The Highly Sensitive Person_ by Elaine N. Aron? I recommend you read it critically rather than taking it at face value, but I found information of value there.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com