Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)

Subject: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)
From: David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:44:49 -0500

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 03:37:13 -0500, nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il
<nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il> wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> > You can rarely go wrong in trying to do as much as you can for yourself,
> > and only asking for help when you can't get any further on your own.
>
> [snip]
>
> You can, for example, try to figure something out yourself,
> make a bad guess, form a misconception, and run with it
> for many days and many pages, creating an expensive mess.

I just experienced this very issue at work yesterday.

Background: I work for a rather eccentric individual. He's the head of
the (small) division, and I don't report to him directly, but he has a
high level of interest in the documents I have been producing.

Over the 10 years that I have worked as a technical writer, I have
worked with the goal of requiring as little of others' time as little
as possible. I interact with SMEs as few times as possible, and try to
answer questions on my own. It has been well-received at previous
employers.

However, I had a meeting yesterday with my boss and the head of the
division and was told that I hadn't been iterating enough with the
person I had been paired with to work on my latest project. He
actually told me that I needed to interact with whoever is the lead on
the project I'm working on *more* than I have been. I couldn't have
been more surprised nor delighted to hear that. I believe that this
license to have many more reviews is going to make my life much
simpler and easier.

Now, if only I could figure out exactly what it is that he's asking for....

-David Castro
thejavaguy[at]gmail[dot]com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com