Re: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: Re: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:27:18 -0500

I disagree. When it comes to tagging content, formatting, laying out,
I think FrameMaker and Word and InDesign are much more efficient than,
well, notepad, XMetal, XML Spy, etc.

While I appreciate your thoughts on this, I think you're over thinking
it. If you want to get single-source documentation out to press and
context-sensitive online help, for software or hardware, quickly, with
a minimum of expensive programming/customization support designed
around messing with layout and formatting and the like, and that's
all, I believe FrameMaker 7.1 and WWP if bought today will be just
fine.

Again, the rest of what you discuss is worth consideration, where is
the industry going, what will and will not be supported, will Adobe
give FrameMaker users a migration path, Macromedia did not give such
to it's RHFM users, etc.

But, if you want to get work done, books out, online help delivered,
with technical writers, FrameMaker + WWP does that job very nicely.

Cheers,

Sean

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:44:28 -0600, David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> First, I just discovered on another mail list a compilation of XML
> editors of various sources (since you asked!):
> http://www.xml-dev.com/xml/editors.html
>
> I'll make several comments inline to continue the discussion just a bit...

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com