Re: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: Re: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:30:25 -0800

In the manual I do that has to be rebranded for 5 subs, I edited the screen
shots to remove the name of the application in the menu bar. No one gets their
product name in the screen shots. 1 or 2 of the rebrands fussed but when we
explained the cost (and potential delays) to them, they stopped fussing. They
are grateful to get the manuals.

And no one really misses the name. Surprising.

XML is, in my case, too much. I'm doing much of what the original poster is
looking for. I have 5 books, all with some or many of the chapters from the main
book. Not all rebrands have all the product parts. Variables are used for all
product names and product parts. It's easy to swap them out with a master file
for each sub that only has their product names listed. I work in the main book
until it's time to generate the rebranded subs, then I open the first rebranded
book. I start hiding and showing conditions and swapping out variables.

It works but it takes time and it's easy to make a mistake.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
951-369-8590

Quoting David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>:

> Thomas,
>
> You'll have various other concerns to work out in your doc plan. For
> instance, you'll need to track any different screen shots occasioned
> by the differing product names.
>
> I am not convinced that your master doc can or should be the genesis
> for the marketing docs, for example, although there will obviously be
> overlap.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com