RE: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)

Subject: RE: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:34:50 -0700

I just wrote a column about shyness, at least the kind of shyness we all
face when we are in a networking situation.

"Extroverts," most of them, including me, have very shy moments. We work
hard to push ourselves, to extend ourselves to other people. I've been in
sales for a long time in this business. No one, seeing me in daily life,
would ever suspect I have an "introverted" side, and some of that, I think,
comes from my analytical nature.

However, all of us have both elements. My shyest technical friends are
hilariously funny and outgoing when they feel "safe." My most extroverted
friends and I are very quiet when we have lots of sensory overload or are
overwhelmed with a significantly strange situation.

Key to this is to understand that an "extrovert" is probably a shy person
working hard at functioning appropriately in society. An introvert might not
be working as hard, or may not be aware that being more assertive is largely
an issue on focusing on others and their needs (including their
documentation needs), not on your own discomfort. Working hard to put
someone else ahead of our own discomfort takes enough effort that you soon
forget your butterflies. By the time you remember, you've created your own
"safety."

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
Michaels & Associates, LLC