Re: Outsourcing Tech Pubs

Subject: Re: Outsourcing Tech Pubs
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:09:44 -0800

Managing a remote team on the other side of the world is not all that
different from managing one on the other side of the country, and the
quality of results obtained from a remote team is no different from that
of a local one: what you get back is in direct proportion to what you
put into building a team of people who have the right combination of
skills, experience and work ethic and managing their efforts with the
right combination of planning, direction and support. The reason
cost-based offshoring often turns out badly is the same reason why
the same work done here often fails - cutting too many corners to do
things on the cheap. But if your reasons for having things in global
locations are really business-related (your customers are there, your
suppliers are there, the talent you need is there, etc.) and you do what
really needs to be done to make it work, the results can be successful.

Gene Kim-Eng