RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob

Subject: RE: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob
From: adf1972 -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:17:26 -0700

> I just tried it, in a small test document using the following simple index
> field
>
> {INDEX \s chapter }
>
> It worked fine.

You said you tried it with a single file, correct? It occurred to me last
night - I wonder if my problem is that I'm using multiple files for the
index. But darnit, the TOC field is smart enough to figure this out, why
not the Index field? Ugh.

> It might be worth checking for silly things, like misspellings in the field
> code or extra quotation marks that have crept in.

Yeah, thanks, but if that were my only problem, I'd expect to see at least
some of the index references working right (with the misspelled ones not
working), and absolutely none of them are.

> Is your copy of Word updated with all the service packs? I'm running
> 9.0.6926 SP-3, as shown on the "About Microsoft Word" dialog.

Good reminder. Thanks, I'll check.

> Ont other question that might spark a bit of a debate. Why are you using
> chapter-based numbering in the first place? ....

You bring up many good points, but unfortunately I'm mandated by a set of
standards to use chapter-based numbering, and it's not within my power to
change those standards.

> Regards
> Jonathan West

Thanks for your help,