Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob

Subject: Desperate Word 2000 Index/SEQ field prob
From: adf1972 -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:33:20 -0700

So I've long since switched to SEQ field numbering because it's way more
reliable than Word's heading/outline numbering. But somehow, I've never
encountered this particular problem until now.....

Here's my problem: I have a 20+ chapter document, each chapter in a sep
Word file, with a master TOC and master Index that use RD fields. All of
the individual chapters are numbered with SEQ fields, using a sequence
called "Chapter".

Using the {TOC \s Chapter ..etc. } field (with the "\s" switch) in the TOC
file works just fine, and gives me a TOC that reflects the SEQ'd Chapter
numbers along with the individual page numbers. Perfect.

But I can't get the ffrrffing "\s" switch to work in my INDEX field!! All
my index entries come up as plain old page numbers minus the SEQ'd Chapter
numbers. And since each Chapter starts off at page 1 again, individual
page references mean nothing without the chapter reference. I should be
seeing, e.g., "Anteater.....1-10, 13-23", but instead I'm seeing
"Anteater.....10,13" with absolutely no chapter references tied to the
page numbers at all.

Does anybody out there have any clue what I can do to make my SEQ'd
Chapter numbers come up in my index entries? Please??? I'm about to start
offering my first born in exchange, I'm so frazzled by this problem.

I've dug up a couple archived posts on here where people apparently used
the {Index \s Chapter ...etc} field ok, and got index entries that
reflected the individual Chapter numbers, so it sounds like someone out
there got this feature to work at least once, once upon a time.

Thank you so much if you can help, PLEASE!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com