Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)

Subject: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)
From: "Robyn Richards" <robynrrr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:27:00 +0000

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post, both on and offline.
Here's a summary of the comments (and my responses, where appropriate).
Warning ? very long!

Documentation is the author's responsibility
I couldn't agree more. If I as the author don't care, then no-one will. It is because I care about documentation that I find my work situation so challenging.

Documentation is not valued ?Make them see the value of documentation (through doing)
This is a difficult one ? something I thought I had achieved. Several months ago (when we were first amalgamating with another company), we had two main products: one which I had documented (product 1) and the second which had existing (but very poor) documentation (product 2). Our support team was very new to both products and used the documentation extensively. Their feedback (via management) was that product 1 was very easy to support (and hence required less time and less resources), whereas product 2 was very difficult, as there was no information for them to go on.
Now that I have fully documented product 2, I have received positive feedback from various people (our Japanese agents, the CEO himself) as to the effectiveness of the documentation.
In addition, the developers now use the documentation to check product functionality, rather than looking through undocumented source code.
Having said that, neither management nor the developers themselves consider it necessary to communicate to me product changes/developments or company guidelines, or provide other support (such as reviews) to keep the documentation up to date.

Obtaining information - suggestions
- develop rapport
- be assertive (politely)
- be persistent
I have tried everything in my armoury to get the information I need (and having worked as a tech writer for more years than I care to remember, I have developed quite a few approaches :) )
Although I get on fine with the developers, no amount of cajoling, treats, threats, appeals to intelligence or sense of worth as human beings, expectation of positive results (in the hope that they will live up to them), even 'guilt tripping' has a lasting effect. Daily prompting to include me in the distribution of builds/release notes works only for a short time.

- get on mailing lists
Curiously, this has proven extremely difficult. There seems to be a real reluctance to have me included on dev emails and I can't for the life of me think why.

-review product /become SME
This is my current mode of working. This is NOT ideal ? it is possible to miss important information

- obtain the source code and check documents
Not feasible as the source code in NOT documented

- get a copy of the product launch calendar
This one gave me a good laugh. Product launches occur as and when management decree (i.e. often in response to competitor product releases). Needless to say there is no documented plan.

Take charge ? make policy/define process, and make it stick (aka 'don't ask, assertively request')
This is good advice, and something I always do (within my sphere of authority)
In situations where my work environment is not defined, my assumption is 'do until you are told otherwise'.
In my current role, it seems I have no authority. I can plan and develop processes as much as I like (including metrics and the measures of the 'value' of documentation). What I can't seem to do is get acceptance or support for my policies/processes. I have discussed this with both development managers ? both pay lip service to the documentation yet neither are prepared to put in any practical support.
Putting in place a 'policy' without support is akin to having no policy at all. All this will achieve will be to make documentation 'too difficult'.

Talk with your supervisor/manager/ VP
See above point. My supervisor/manager/VP are one and the same!

Thank you for all your comments. My approach will be to try and get further clarification of my duties and failing that, to move on. I will forward progress to this list if anything occurs.

Robyn

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com