Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation

Subject: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:58:44 -0800

At 08:48 PM 12/16/2004, Robyn Richards wrote:

in order to collect the infomration I needed, I would have to get a new build of a product daily and search for each change manually myself.

That's basically what I do; coupled with a good ear for listening into conversations by developers to help me know what to watch for as I look at each new build. To add to that, though, I've become friends with the developers and I know basically who owns which features, so I know who I can go to when I have specific questions. Over time, they've gotten better and better at letting me know what they've changed, because they know I'll find it soon enough and come to ask about it anyway.

I think Peter is right--this is an opportunity to make yourself the expert. If there's no process, create one that you will follow and write your doc plans based on that. As things change, document what you know and go from there. That might be all you can do in your situation. The more you take charge, the more people will see you as someone who knows what needs to be done and is capable of making it happen.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Too many words bring about exhaustion."
--Tao Te Ching, Chapter 5 (translated by Sheets/Tovey)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com