RE: difficulties with the boss

Subject: RE: difficulties with the boss
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:55:10 -0600

Sounds bad. See inline below.

I am having an incredibly difficult time working with
my new boss. I have been in this position since
September, ...

a: It's not really your problem. It might seem like it's yours because
right now you work there, but it's not really your problem.

I am extremely frustrated with our lack of process in
writing and editing. The following situations have
contributed to this state: 1)...8)

a: Again, not your problem. See above.

7) The only way to discuss matters with my manager is
through high-intensity screaming matches...

a: DO NOT let people manipulate you by pulling you into a 'screaming
match'. You are better than that.

8) Personal attacks and insults...

a: DO NOT let people manipulate you. See above.

All of this adds up to an uncertain...

Sounds like a bad, unstable, uncertain situation. None of it is your
fault. You didn't start OR contribute to it.

I kid you not, she doesn't even know her parts of speech...

a: OK, but it does not matter. She could be the best writer on the
planet, but from what you say she is not very PROFESSIONAL at all and
that is IMPORTANT. Remember, you didn't start OR contribute to the
unprofessionialism that you describe. You might think that you did in
some small way, but you DID NOT. It's not your problem. You have been
manipulated. (I remember a line from an Alternative Rock song, 'You've
been struck by a smooth criminal'.)

One thing I've learned about her (from observation ...)...

a: Sounds like you're fairly scientific and objective. Learn from that
fact. Respect yourself. Pay attention to yourself and what's good for
you. Stop paying so much attention to her.

What would you do in this situation?

a: Find another place to work at. A place that maintains a professional
work environment. And recognize that although some person I have known
only since September has succeeded at manipulating me, that success is
limited indeed. Recognize that I am the better person and that I can
learn a little (but not a lot) from her.

Jim

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com