RE: Maybe things ARE getting better...

Subject: RE: Maybe things ARE getting better...
From: "Wright, Lynne" <lwright -at- positron911 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:55:15 -0500

There would be no point in specifying excelling writing skills as a job
requirement for a tech writer, because:

1) it's implicit that a writing job requires good writing skills.

2) as we all know, there are plenty of people who THINK they have
excellent writing skills... and obviously they WOULD think that if they
are applying for a writing job... when actually they aren't very good at
all. We include excellent English writing skills in our job descriptions
(especially since here in Quebec, the official first language is
French), yet we got several applicants who clearly had a weak grasp of
english... and several of the ENGLISH speakers weren't much better.

In general, people seem to think that if they know what a noun and a
verb are, and are vaguely familiar with how to use a comma, that makes
them a competent writer.