Re: Consulting after RIF'd

Subject: Re: Consulting after RIF'd
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:51:17 -0800 (PST)

Your new asking rate has nothing to do with your old salary. Charge
what the market will bear.

In my experience there is little good that can come of a 1-2 week
project. They have usually underestimated the work effort, and it is
more trouble than it is worth. So usually I quote a prohibitively high
rate.

Try asking for a flat weekly rate rather than hourly. If you let them
order your hours a la carte, they will just lock up your time all week
long for a minimal paycheck. I've been in the position where I had to
turn down a new full-time contract because I was committed to
completing a part-time contract with minimal hours.

Also, if you had any pet peeves about the way things were done around
there, now is the time to negotiate them away in your new contract.

On the other hand, if you think they are planning to hire a long-term
consultant to do your former job, quote whatever rate would make sure
you are that guy (if that's what you want).

Mike O.

http://my.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com