Re: Job prospects in Canada, US, the planet?

Subject: Re: Job prospects in Canada, US, the planet?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:58:40 -0800

I've been getting an increased number of calls from recruiters
asking me if I'm interested in a new publication manager position
(I'm not), if I know of anyone who is looking for one, or if I know
of any writers who looking for work. The one thing these calls all
have in common is that the hiring companies are looking for people
with writing ability and technical backgrounds in the specific fields
I have worked in (semiconductors, biotech). When I tell them
the only people I know have software, networking or nonspecific
"technical communicator" backgrounds, the callers tell me they
don't have anything for those folks So if the students in that two
year program are unemployed electrical engineers, biologists
or chemists who signed up for the program in hopes of improving
their employment options, I'd tell them to start researching chip
and biotech companies in Northern California. Otherwise, I'd say
things are still pretty grim out here.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: <lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com>

Right now, I'd say that the prospects are pretty grim the world over except India, but that they are beginning to improve despite John Posada's recent news. The students are willing to move in order to find work, so I would like to hear from you: what is your impression of the current and future TW job market in your city?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com