Re: Self publishing

Subject: Re: Self publishing
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:17:33 -0500

Johan Hiemstra wrote:

I'd love to see this topic being discussed a bit further. I've been
self-publishing my stuff for several years, online however. This
www.trafford.com seems like a good option to try it offline for a
change, but I was wondering if anyone here has actually experience with
them or a similar company.

I looked into Trafford briefly on behalf of a client. While I believe that they do what they say they do, it's also true that the services they offer are available at much lower prices elsewhere. In any case, you don't have to get to very high volumes before it makes much more economic sense to look at offset printing rather than print-on-demand (POD). When I priced my client's book, the Trafford POD price was approximately seven dollars a copy, starting at copy number one and not diminishing. That was on top of Trafford's fee. The cost to deliver the same book, offset printed and perfect-bound, was two dollars and change per copy for 1,000 copies. I didn't price it at a lower volume, but clearly POD is an expensive way to go for quantities over several dozen.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com