RE: Re to temporary/contract work and worried about the future

Subject: RE: Re to temporary/contract work and worried about the future
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:28:23 -0600

Anthony Hernandez:
>I've read the responses to Phillip St. James's post.
>Wow. I'm an undergrad studying tech. comm. Is there
>any chance that I'll get a job in tech.comm. when I
>graduate? If guys like Phillip are having a hard time,
>I must be dead in the water already.

This is my own brief history... I finished up in August 2002 (U of MN)
and had nothing come up even remotely warm. But in the first week of
October I was blasted with three offers in a few days. Bad thing was
that they were all short-term positions. I went with the local one
lasting three months as I did not have the bucks to move to either of
the other offers which were slightly longer.

After that position wrapped up, I had a handful of interviews over the
first three months of '03. Will spare you all on the why's and why not's
nothing panned out. But in April, had several interviews for tech writer
positions, and still nothing. I ended up doing telephone interviews. I
even tried to get a job or two driving truck again (I held a CDL from
1993-2003), but was turned down based on my education. I a lot of
experience driving, but was basically told that they were looking for
someone permanent, not someone that will constantly be looking for
something else.

I even considered going back to school, but... well no comment on that.

I interviewed for the job where I am currently at in mid-May, but in the
two weeks after my third interview and "the call" I had accepted a job
to do custom cutting from Oklahoma to Canada driving trucks and running
combines. I did call that guy back and told that I would not be going
with him and his crew.

IMHO, I think a lot of it is location. I would love to move back to my
home state of Montana, but for one reason or another, that ain't gonna
happen. Multiple factors, really do not feel like throwing out my
opinions into the forum.

Basically the way I see it... I'll put it the way I told my family when
asked about how I was going, "Don't worry. I'll keep digging, because
there's bound to be a pony somewhere."

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone-- your Airborne Office
Verizon Airfone keeps you informed and in contact with colleagues,
co-workers, and family from the moment you settle into your seat. Make
progress every day with Verizon Airfone.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com