Re: OOo conversion from Word

Subject: Re: OOo conversion from Word
From: "Janet Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:43:22 -0600

kevin -dot- lovejoy -at- trnswrks -dot- com wrote:

> I have attemped to convert my 650 page Word document to OOo with less
> than
> promising results.
>
> I used the File>AutoPilot>Document Converter option converting from an
> Office
> Word doc.
>
> The results were not very good. I have a high number of tables and
> graphics
> (with many of the graphics embedded in the tables.) The graphics appeat
to be
> all over the place, many not even on the same page (some even overlaying
my
> TOC.)
>
> In addition, my footer is only present on the odd numbered pages.
>
> Is there a way to fine tune the filter to correct the situation.
>
> Are there any other hints from those experienced OOo users.

You might get more responses by posting on the users -at- openoffice -dot- org mailing
list (see http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html for subscription info ---
I recommend the digest or newsgroup options, as it's fairly high-volume).

Also, see the following page for an in-progress guide to migration from MSO
to OOo: http://www.oooauthors.org/groups/authors/userguide/migrationguide/

If you haven't upgraded to OOo 1.1.4 (just released), you might try that, as
a number of MSO-import bugs have been fixed. If that doesn't help, you might
try a preview build of OOo 2.0, which fixes even more import issues
(including anchoring of graphics, I think, but don't hold me to that).

--Janet

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com