Re: expanding our range

Subject: Re: expanding our range
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:41:28 -0800 (PST)

Great book for Exxpanding ones TW Horizons:
"Strucutred Systems Analysis and Specification" by Tom
DeMarco.

Some important points from Tom:

* The written word is a very poor mechanism for
communicating procedure. Tom says, "Produre is like
dance, it defies written description."

* Only by following the flow of data can one
understand the underlying logic of a system. (Note:
Knowing the logic of a system is very important for
TWing".)

* Bottom up [task] analysis does not work for
larger-scale efforts: we end up "drowning in an ocean
of detail".

* Nailing down essential procedure can require the
negotiating skills of Henery Kissenger.

Tony Markos

--- "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
wrote:

> Hello Whirlers,
> I bet a lot of us are reading a work related book or
> taking a work related course. Care to share what
> you're reading or learning?
> I'll go first. I finally bought Managing Your
> Documentation Projects by Joanne Hackos. I've heard
> it's a classic. I figure 30 minutes a day will get
> me through it. It's easy to read so far, makes
> sense, and I think I'll find it applicable. Some
> project management skills should come in handy for
> my work.
> Cheers,
> Eileen Neumann
> Business Rules and Procedures