Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old

Subject: Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:41:30 -0800

Well, yes. Salary creep is a phenomenon that has been well documented
for decades. Downturns aside, you get a larger increase by changing jobs
than from any raise you are liley to receive staying put. Otherwise, what
would be the point of changing jobs, unless it was to escape a bad work
environment? Regardless of your gender, expecting for your employer to
increase your compensation based on your years of service, dedication,
loyalty, etc., has always been a losing proposition. And the mobility
thing is definitely a factor. There was a report on the earnings of women
vs. men in California just this week, and it cited the "mommy track" as
one of the major factors contributing to the disparity.

Gene Kim-Eng