Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old

Subject: Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:15:16 -0800

As a manager, I have always worked to ensure that salaries for my staff
members are based solely on the extent to which they achieved their
objectives, with a little extra credit to those who manage to do so with
less personal monitoring and/or project direction from me. In cases
where I have assumed management of existing depts, I have found that
salaries were almost always skewed in favor of those who were the
most recent additions to staff, which may explain in part what the survey
shows. I have observed that men tend to change jobs in search of higher
salaries and grade advancements more readily than women do. However,
that is solely my own observation based on people I have known or
worked with. I have no idea whether there are any comprehensive
statistics on this.

Gene Kim-Eng