Re: Enable/Disable Vs Yes/No

Subject: Re: Enable/Disable Vs Yes/No
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:55:46 -0500

Quoting Manisha <manisha -at- elitecore -dot- com>:

> Any thumb rules on when to use Enable/Disable and Yes/No?
>
> for example
> Bypass Control - Enable Disable
> Bypass Control - Yes No

If there's a rule of thumb, I would say never use "yes no" unless there is an
explicit, fully-formed question in the UI.

"Bypass Control - Yes No" by itself is completely useless because it is an
answer that has no question. In other words, if you don't provide that
question, the user will do it for you, usually by seizing the first yes/no
question that pops into his or her head. For example:

Is there a Bypass Control?
Do I want to bypass the Control feature?
Is the bypass controlled?
Do I want to enable the Bypass Control?
Am I the person with Bypass Control authority?
Do I want the ability to control the bypass at some point in time?

etc etc.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com