Re: Is wildcard functionality well known enough?

Subject: Re: Is wildcard functionality well known enough?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:28:13 -0500

Apologies if folks get two copies of this, but I got an error message
from the list, and while Alan may have received my reply I don't think
the list did.

BTW, Dannette Thompson Bennett's suggestion re: the Google Features
Help page (http://www.google.com/help/features.html) is an excellent
one.

- bc

*****
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:57:46 -0600, Alan Salo <asalo -at- mmgsystems -dot- com> wrote:

> Would you be willing to share your [Google] search strategies with the list?

Alan,

Absolutely. I am actually planning to turn this into a short
presentation... when I get that written and cleaned up, I'll post it
on the Web in an accessible location and point the list to it.

In the meantime, let me point you to David Pogue's excellent article
from last March, which includes a number of useful Google tips and
tricks. (I learned a lot from it and borrowed heavily from it for my
informal pitches at the office, combining these tips with some
information on how to best use Google's Advanced Search features -
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en - which are really really
powerful.)

Pogue's article is missing information on the Desktop Search tool
(http://desktop.google.com) and Google Local (http://local.google.com)
both of which became available relatively recently, but other than
that it's very current and helpful:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/25/technology/circuits/25POGUE-EMAIL.html

The Times site requires registration, but it's free.

Best,

Barry

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com