Re: Use Words or pictures?

Subject: Re: Use Words or pictures?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 14:13:43 -0500

Carol,

I would approach this problem the same way online as in print. Lay out
your help page as a table, with a wide text column and a narrower
sidebar where you can place small images. Refer to the Drop button in
text; place a picture of the Drop button in the adjacent cell (so its
vertical position is relative to the first paragraph on the page where
you talk about it); include a figure legend, "Drop button," under the image.

It is awkward and ugly under the best of circumstances to drop inline
images into a block of HTML text. I advise against it.

Dick

Rowles, Carol wrote:

Our help system has a lot of buttons that can be used as short cuts to
accomplish a task instead of going to File or Options or something of
that sort and selecting the task from the drop-down.
Do most of you put a picture of the button into the on-line and say, for
example: "To drop a field onto the form, click (picture of the button)."
Or, do you say, for example, "To drop a field onto the form, click the
Drop button?" Using the picture, if you reference the button several times in the
paragraph, can get sloppy. Would you use the picture once and after
that just use the name of the button? Suggestions??

We are developing a new .Net product and are starting from scratch. I
am developing a guide for our QC and TW departments.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com