Re: CHM file capability

Subject: Re: CHM file capability
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:16:39 -0600

Rick,

I believe that would depend upon the users involved. If you are doing
a help file for internal use in your own company environment, that is
certainly one thing. If, however, you are "silently recording" the
activities of a customer on the customer's premises, their internal
security policies may cause them to take considerable umbrage at
*anything* being "silently recorded" and later retrieved in any
fashion.

It certainly would not go over well with any enterprise I am familiar
with unless written into the contract originally and unless you can
defeat various kinds of security measures that seek to stop any
outward communication by any application that is not intentionally
directed.

David

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:02:03 -0500, Rick Stone <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:

> I suppose it all depends on the determination and creativity of the help
> author. For example, back when I was doing WinHelp (circa 1998/1999) a
> co-worker helped me out by creating a Visual Basic application that silently
> logged entries to an Access Database. I configured topic entry macros to
> invoke the VB app and supplied parameters such as the topic being accessed
> and the help file it was inside (I had about 250 different WinHelp files
> that comprised a combined system) The VB app gathered the username from the
> LAN login. In operation it was pretty slick and we could later see what
> topics were "hot". I knew which topic was accessed, when it had been
> accessed, by whom, and what .HLP file it was stored inside.
>
> I could envision a similar setup using .CHM files configured with onLoad
> commands to launch hidden shortcut controls that would do the same thing as
> the WinHelp system did. It would be a significant effort, to be sure. But
> I'm thinking it could be within the realm of possibility.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com