Speaking of interviews...

Subject: Speaking of interviews...
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:46:29 -0500

Since we were speaking of interviews, I thought I'd pass along a wonderful book I've just finished:

Poundstone, W. 2003. How would you move Mount Fuji? Microsoft's cult of the puzzle. How the world's smartest companies select the most creative thinkers. Little, Brown, and Company, New York, N.Y. 276 p.

In addition to just plain being a lot of fun if you enjoy logic and other puzzles, the book casts a refreshingly jaundiced eye upon the interview process in general* (not just at Microsoft), and provides some excellent advice both on designing useful interviews and surviving them. Highly recommended!

* Among other things, the author presents some tantalizing information on studies that have shown that many interviews are decided in the first 2 minutes of interacting with the interviewer, with the rest of the interview often having no weight whatsoever in making the hire/no hire decision. Without actually seeing the studies, I have to say that this plays to my prejudices but doesn't fully convince me.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com