Re: The End Of Technical Writing

Subject: Re: The End Of Technical Writing
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:12:43 -0400

Tony Markos wrote:

--- eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

What on Earth can the simple identification of your
users and their basic functions and responsibilities
provide in the way of satisfaction or
accomplishment?.....
Tony Markos responds:

Eric, I'm a passionate data flow diagrammer (a tool
for rigorous top-down task analysis). All true data
flow diagrammer's are noted for their fervent approach
to task analysis. Why? - see my response to Bonnie G.

Tony Markos

So, Tony, if you want to have a productive discussion of data flow diagrams as applied to user task analysis, start discussing. Educate us. When I've worked with DFDs they have been very instructive in terms of software design (what messages flow in which direction between software modules; what data goes in and out of which db tables); but they have had little or nothing to do with user tasks. How do the kind of DFDs you're talking about differ from these? How do the differ from use case diagrams? If you're so hot on talking about them, post some graphic examples somewhere and let us take a look. Maybe we'll all see the light. But just whining that we don't already know what you're talking about isn't getting us anywhere.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com