RE: (inter)National Novel Writing Month

Subject: RE: (inter)National Novel Writing Month
From: "Amy P." <amydetroit -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:20:50 -0400

Donna:

Does writing a novel of that length take every waking moment of the month?

It averages to about 1,667 words per day. If you actually type straight through, that doesn't take long. It's the getting out of your own way that is tricky. That's why this is such a blast for me (and hard work): because there's no room for the constant revising and searching for *just the right* phrasing; you just have to write in order to reach the word count goal. The surprising thing for me has been that my best work tends to come out of the quantity-rushes when I'm not consciously tinkering with the plot. Anyway. It's a mondo-blast to clean writer's block out of the plumbing.

If you only finished two out of five, is that because it was too short a timeframe or because you ran out of ideas for the novel?

Because I was too self-critical of the work to stomach continuing. It takes a lot of guts to keep writing crap. And when you're going for this kind of volume, a lot of crap will get written. Especially so when it's freshly on the page---the urge to destroy can be strong. But after it's solidified for a month or so, January reading of your "novel" can be a very pleasant surprise.

I might give it a try. I've had a few characters in mind for years who are just waiting to have
a story written about them. :-)

Go for it! Read the FAQs on the site for more info, too.

Happy noveling,
Amy P.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com